Saturday 9 February 2013

Mucky Mishaps


I love working with our animals but every so often something happens when I really think that I must be mad doing all the stuff here that I do.   This happened yesterday when I was rather enthusiastically mucking out the animal barn.  I was working at speed as I seemed to have a lot to do before picking up Mike from the airport and I really wanted everything to look well organised as if I had been in complete control in his absence!  Hmm!!!

Animal poo on concrete is slippery - I know that.  But this knowledge didn’t stop me from going flying across the floor and ending floundering around in the poo on my back.  Still it could have been an awful lot worse if I had ended face down.  I’m just glad that no-one was there to watch or even worse photograph me in action.  You’ll just have to imagine the scene and the language!  I must admit that the few alpacas that were in there did look a bit puzzled!
Anyone else got any "hilarious mishaps" to report?

 

I might have been slogging away all week on my own but I had my best mate, my little terrier Scrumpy, to help.  After helping with the mucking out she smelt almost as bad as me!
 

As it’s the weekend, I have to crack on with making a pan of soup.  Butternut Squash soup today. It’s really easy.  Peel and roughly chop carrots, celery, onions and butternut squash and over a medium heat sweat in butter for about 10 minutes with the lid on.  Then add vegetable or chicken stock, just to cover the vegetables – you can always thin the soup down later with more stock or some milk.  Season well and cook until the veg is soft then blend.  Delicious with some freshly baked bread.  If you want to jazz it up for a supper party, then swirl a little cream or crème fraiche onto each serving and crumble a little crisply fried sage leaf on top.  Yum, Yum!
 

Off to local Farmway store for more Alfa Beet for the alpacas before we run out - forgot to do that earlier in the week!  Check out www.farmway.co.uk to see if there is one in your area.

4 comments:

  1. One particular hillarious incident, not really a mishap, happened to me several years ago when visiting a dog breeder. She was quite elderly and had offered us chocolate bisuits on a small tray along with cups of tea. The biscuits were quite nasty tasting and we soon realized she had mistakenly given us dog bisuits! We were all very polite and managed to get them down with the tea. None of us had any form of barking disorder afterwards. Anja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister used to eat the beef nuts our grandfather fed his Jersey bull. I know food rationing may have still been on in this country but even so......!

      Delete
  2. I came across this quote and thought it an appropriate one for you...One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story


    Anja

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with him more - the only danger being that I acquire a similar girth!

    ReplyDelete