Wednesday 20 February 2013

A Woman's Work is Never Done!




I wouldn’t like any of you to get the idea that Mike is the only one doing the hard graft round here and that I just swan around the place taking the odd photograph etc., etc!!!

Please note – I favour the more eco-friendly method of poo picking!  Apart from anything else it’s good for the ageing waistline and since I’ve always got plenty of home-made cake in the larder supposedly just for our B and B guests, I need all the help I can get.
 

This photo of me in action was actually taken yesterday morning and proves that we have had some sunshine this week.  It’s not like that today!!!!  It is dry to be fair but it’s overcast with a chill easterly wind.  However, the land is starting to dry out now.  I’m glad that our land is pretty dry anyway, as I keep seeing photos of people’s fields that are just a sea of mud. That must be really tough.

Talking of cakes, my favourite 100% reliable cake is a fruit cake that I’ve adapted from a Mary Berry recipe.  My version is a bit cheaper and I think tastes just as good.

Ingredients:

450 g. (1lb) mixed dried fruit

100 g (4oz) butter or margarine

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

175 g (6 ozs) light brown or caster sugar

275 g ( 10 ozs) self raising flour

2 tsps ground ginger – optional

225 ml (8 fl. ozs.) water

 2 eggs beaten

Makes one 20 cms (8”) deep round cake.  I usually pop a cake tin liner into the tin which saves time which I am all in favour of.

Put fruit, butter, soda, sugar and water into a pan and bring to the boil for a couple of minutes.  Cool.  Then add flour, beaten eggs and ginger or preferred spice if using.

Cook at 160 degrees (325F, Gas 3 for about 1 ½ hours.  I usually check after an hour to make sure it’s not browning too much and if it is, then I put a bit of paper or foil over the top.

This cake does freeze well

I usually make at least two at a time and try to be strong-willed enough to freeze at least one of them!!

 

4 comments:

  1. As a grateful and frequent consumer of this cake I can confirm that it is delicious and a good enough reason to sidestep the poo hoover in favour of the traditional brush and shovel! I will definitely be trying this recipe out soon. Thanks Melanie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! If you fancy coming out for an extra large portion of cake, we could both then do some eco poo clearing together afterwards. Just give me the word and I'll line up the shovels!

      Delete
  2. I checked out my pantry, I have everything including some of my own (dried) blueberries so will be attempting to bake this lovely sounding fruit cake tomorrow...I still think you should write your own cookbook! As for the POO hoover, a fabulous piece of kit!!! I think Mike would look using it too...
    Anja. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Anja. Maybe one day I may write a cookbook. I have been thinking about it recently. The blueberries would be great I'm sure. As long as there is 1 kg of fruit and/or nuts you can put in whatever combo you like. Do let me know how it turns out!

      Delete