Tuesday 4 February 2014

What is that???!!!




I do feel like asking for answers on a postcard but since this is supposedly the digital age, I’ve thought better of it.
Given that most of you already realise that I am ever so slightly keen on cooking – hate the word “foodie” with a passion! – it will come as no surprise to learn that this is something that is delicious to eat and not one of those slightly dubious substances to be found in the dusty cupboards of science labs in the 1960’s and 70’s.  The very thought brings to mind my school chemistry lessons with Mother Gertrude.  Despite dear old Gertie’s best efforts I never could get to grips with chemistry.  Maybe she should have just told me that it was cookery by another name and I would have been fine!
Anyway for those of you who haven’t guessed, this is a jar of griddled aubergines in olive oil.   I’m just salivating at the thought of eating them with some home-baked ham or cured meats.  Ok I do realise that you can go and buy a jar of this in any supermarket – yes even in the north of England! – but believe you me it won’t taste the same.

So if you fancy having a go at making some then just buy a couple of aubergines and slice thinly and sprinkle with salt to draw out the liquid.  Leave for about half an hour, then rinse and pat dry.  Brush with olive oil and fry in a very hot griddle pan on both sides until coloured and well cooked. Meanwhile gently heat some olive oil and thyme leaves in a pan and add aubergine slices and a dash of white wine vinegar and bring to the boil.  Then leave to cool and decant into a sterilised Kilner jar, making sure that the aubergine slices are completely covered with the oil.  Store in the fridge and use within a month of opening.  How easy is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment