Wednesday 6 November 2013

Winter is coming!

Yup winter is definitely coming!  I do miss the warm days and regret having to put a coat on in the mornings.  I've even got a bit soft in my old age and put Livia's coat back on.
 
We were supplementary feeding Livia for quite a while and although she is doing well and gaining weight I do still worry about her.  We had a really good 2013 breeding season with no birthing problems and Livia was the only one that needed a bit extra TLC - very well deserved too as she has a very special fleece.  Her Mum, Leonora is extremely protective when I try and take any photographs and I usually have to leap out the way pretty quickly before I get shoved out of the way!
At least Livia hasn't got the snivels like I've got - I'm blaming Mike and my grandson Archie for that!
Six of our female alpacas went off to their new homes during the past week.  I think all new owners worry about them and whether they should put them away at night, but we keep telling people that alpacas are a pretty tough lot and we rarely shut them away.  I have to say that both lots of new owners have prepared for their new herds exceptionally well, with excellent fencing and first rate shelters.
These three girls, Phyllida, Aquilegia and Aurora have all settled in really well in Edmundbyers
 
 
 
as have Sabrina, Dido and Artemesia in Hawick, although I sadly don't have any photos of those.
 
My best bit of news of this wintry week is my sightings of a red squirrel at the top of our drive two days on the trot..  Northumberland is one of the few places in the country where you can still see red squirrels although they are not as prevalent as they were a few years back.  We used to have quite a number here but I hadn't seen any for quite some time. I almost forgot about my snivels when I spotted this squirrel - well for at least a minute or two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment