Monday 30 September 2013

Never A Dull Moment at Fallowfield!


So much for giving up doing B and B, so I could have a quieter life!  Mike and I seem to have had the week of all weeks.  It has been great fun but we are feeling ever so slightly cream-crackered tonight and even my little Norfolk terrier, Scrumpy, has hardly had the energy to get out of her bed all day.
The week started at a fairly leisurely pace of shopping in Newcastle with my daughter in law, Iona and grandson Archie.  We even stopped to have a coffee which is quite unheard of for me as I usually dash in and out as quickly as I can. 

 Then I did a bit of babysitting for Archie on Tuesday - in between trying to make an impression on the ironing mountain that has developed in this house.

Wednesday was another paperwork and ironing day – so feeling pretty virtuous at this point in time – not to mention getting bedrooms ready for the non paying variety of guests ( i.e. our family!) who were due to arrive in force at the weekend.

Then on Thursday evening, we welcomed back Trevor and Julie who had recently attended one of our Alpaca Care Courses to let them select their three female alpacas.  After some deliberation, they selected Aurora, Aquilegia and Phyllida.  I'm sure that they must be pretty excited right now. I had thought of trying out some new recipes that night, but it ended up being an Indian takeaway which slipped down a treat.

Fridays are always pretty manic these days as it is changeover day at our holiday cottage and as I am such a perfectionist – some might say fusspot! – I mainly do the work required myself.  Thank goodness I had a lemon drizzle cake in the freezer as I certainly didn’t have time to bake one for the new guests arriving.
The week built up to a definite crescendo of noise and chaos as we were in sole charge of our three grandsons on Saturday through until Sunday.  Ages ranged from two and a half, eight months and four and a half months. So just think about the logistics for a minute - only one is walking, they all eat different things and sleep at different times.  In between giving bottles to the babies, I was trying to do a bit more on the Christening robe – I admit it I am bonkers!  The boys were pretty good on the whole but there is no way we could have managed without the help of my close friend Gill Robson.  I think bath time and supper time were probably the most challenging bits. I have to say that our well deserved glass of wine after they had all gone to bed tasted like sheer nectar.    Would we offer to have them all again – yes, but please not for a few weeks as we need to recover!!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment