Wednesday 7 August 2013

Phew - what a week!


 

 

I had assumed – wrongly! – that as this was not the first Open Day to be held at Fallowfield, that it would be pretty straightforward.  I was under no illusions about the amount of work involved, but I had lists, spread sheets and more lists.  I had even sub-contracted the teas out to Wall W.I. – which was a real stroke of genius.  Beat the hell out of my friends and I baking for what seemed like weeks in advance and then having to serve the stuff as well.  I had lined up a great team of helpers to man the stalls, the raffle and the car park – so what could go wrong? 
 

No it wasn’t the weather – it was those damned pigs.  They had finally chewed right through the telephone cable, thus depriving us of any landline or internet connection from last Tuesday onwards.  Even my I-pad seemed to adopt a go-slow regime, so I was forced to try and carry on business in Cafe Nero in Hexham.    So hence the reason for complete lack of blogging since the 30th July -  note to myself "Must improve"!!

 
 
At least we woke up to a gloriously sunny day on Sunday morning so we decided that we would have a fun day regardless and we absolutely did.  We had such a lot of visitors who all loved the alpacas – especially the new crias.  The children loved being able to take alpacas for walks – well supervised! – and had great fun climbing on the tractor and quad bike.  Just how many children can you get on a quad bike? 

We ended the day with a barbeque – not a gourmet experience but a great way to relax and thank all of those who had helped us make the day such a success. Please ignore the smoke - neither Mike nor I have any skill at cooking on a barbeque!!  Sweet peas on the table looked good though!
 

I had hoped to have a quiet day on Monday as I was feeling pretty shattered, but Pandora looked as if she was going to give birth at any time.  In fact she had changed her mind by lunchtime but, completely without warning, Hermione gave birth to a tiny little boy.  Oh, I forgot to say that Isadora finally gave birth last Friday to a seriously gorgeous little boy.  He has a fabulous fleece that I will try and photograph soon.  She was terribly overdue but he was okay, although we did give him some supplementary colostrum as he was a bit slow to feed at first.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, quite an adventurous day! Sounds, and looks, like you had a great day nevertheless! Congrats regarding the crias and those pigs might be bacon before they realize it! If so, save some for our visit please! Anja....

    ReplyDelete