Sunday 10 March 2013

Pigs, pigs and more pigs!

Today is Mother's Day and as opposed to Father's Day which in my book is just a commercial exercise, Mothering Sunday does feature in the Church calendar.    I might be slightly biaised but argue with me at your peril!  All three Douglas sons and Douglas husband remembered  - well done guys and I love you lots too!

It was certainly never going to be a day of rest for us farming folk.  We woke up to decidedly wintry weather this morning.  Frequent snow blizzards and a wind chill factor which just doesn't bear even mentioning!  However, this couldn't stop the halter training.  After all, I can hardly tell Amanda VandenBosch who is judging the Huacaya alpacas at the Futurity at the end of this week that it was just too cold to halter train our animals - well I suppose I could try but I don't think that it will be conducive to getting a rosette.  I couldn't help thinking that it is quite remarkable how great our alpacas look until just before they are due to enter the show ring.  I know the alpaca dress code is "Field Condition" -but honestly!!!!



The real treat of the day was going down to Staindrop in County Durham to meet our pigs.  I present to you the Fallowfield Oxford Sandy and Black piglets!!  We came across The Sandy & Black Pig Company when we were at the Country Living Fair in Harrogate just before Christmas - ok yes, extra brownie points for Mike for taking me!  We just loved their sausages and pies and the rest as they say is history - or will be in about 9 months time when the pigs are in our freezers.  Check out www.sandyandblackpigs.co.uk.



The pigs were everything and more than we had hoped for.  People say how cute and intelligent they are but they seem to be almost human at times.  The Mums were very relaxed and we were able to pick up the piglets . Admittedly there were more important things on their Mums' minds - supper was being served! 

Did think about having roast pork for supper - but opted for chicken instead!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Actually we had turkey......! How cute are these little guys......I would possibly be holding them all day long. Can you resist picking them up? I saw a cute name for a pig on the internet recently.....Cris P. Bacon!!
    Love, Anja.

    ReplyDelete