Friday 22 March 2013

BAS Judges' Calibration Clinic

 
 
No I haven't lost the plot - at least I don't think so! - but I thought I would share this lovely photo Mike took of a cowslip last Spring just to cheer us all up in this miserable weather.

I feel as if my feet have barely touched the ground over the past couple of weeks.  There is always so much to do here at home in any case and then we were away at the Futurity for a few days.  Having got home late last Saturday night, there was just time for me on Sunday to visit my elderly mother who is in a nursing home and have a quick sort out and then I was off again on Monday morning leaving Mike to hold the fort.  I have to admit that it was a bit of an effort as I was still feeling a bit shattered but it was worth it.

The reason for dashing around the country once again was that, as a trainee judge,  I was attending the BAS Judges’ Calibration clinic at Toft alpacas and staying with middle son Pete and Iona and baby Archie which was a real bonus. It was great getting in a bit of “Granny” time!
 

The calibration clinic was excellent.  We were so privileged to have Amanda Vandenbosch as our tutor and the Toft Alpacas Studio was the perfect venue.  The weather has been awful this week and although we spent some time outside, we were also able to judge animals indoors.  A big “Thank You” to Rob and Shirley Bettinson for hosting this event.  There was a great atmosphere amongst judges, trainees and handlers and a real feeling of everyone supporting each other.  No photos I'm afraid -  I was far too busy learning and chatting and there was a heck of a lot of both!

I would strongly recommend anyone who is interested in knitting and crochet to visit the Toft Alpaca Studio www.toftalpacas.co.uk.  You will find it truly inspiring.  Kerry Bettinson has to be congratulated on her creativity and design of both the studio and her range of products.

We have had a visit here this morning from a lady who is a very keen hand spinner and she bought three fleeces from us, two of which were show fleeces.  It is always really fun when you find someone who gets just as excited as us when they see a good fleece.

Having been away for a few days, I am desperate to do a bit of cooking.  No-one could ever say that I am short of cookery books but that didn’t stop me from borrowing Iona’s copy of Ottam Yottolenghi’s book “Plenty”.  It is a vegetarian cookery book with some stunning recipes.  I am a real fan of his as he shows you that you really don’t have to eat meat to create a really special meal.  Having said that, my sons think I am a bit weird as although I am certainly not vegetarian, I am quite happy to eat just a plate of vegetables.  I think I’ll give the Mushroom Lasagne recipe a go this weekend.
 

1 comment: